12 June 2015

Jurassic World, or Harper reminiscences about her 10 year old self

I was 10 years old when Jurassic Park came out in the theaters. I was the most excited 10 year old girl you would have ever met if you met me going into the theater that day.

You see I had done my research. I had read the book first. And that book blew my 10 year old mind!

My favorite part was that each chapter heading had a fractal that kept getting more and more complex as the book went along.

So 10 year old Harper went with her whole family to see "the dinosaur movie."

I'm pretty sure I had nightmares that night, but it was worth it to see that awesome T-Rex at the end with the banner fluttering to the ground.

At that moment I wanted to become a paleontologist. I wanted to go to U of U and study in the desert and become a famous scientist and whatnot.

I think there must be an alternate universe me somewhere that actually did go to Utah and was in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Olympics and met Josh Groban just as he was getting big and married him and had two beautiful children, Nathaniel and Superfly. (Points if you get that reference.)

But alas, this universe Harper forgot that dream sometime around The Lost World coming out, me reading it, and me getting super pissed at the author for retconning Dr. Malcolm just so there could be a sequel to the movie.

I bet you are wondering about the picture of the shirt. I own this shirt. I wore it tonight when I saw Jurassic World,  22 years to the day of the opening of the first movie. It's a sweet shirt design! Props to the designer.

Anywho, I bet you want to know my opinion of the movie. I rather enjoyed it. There was a lot of "oh my god, guys. Did any of you watch the first movie? It is in your collective universe. You know what happened. What the hell do you think you are doing?" There was also a lot of "Chris Pratt take your shirt off" be he never did. I will admit that there were some super tense moments that I quite liked. And some silly "look! 3D is a thing that people seem to like" moments that just break the magic when you watch a 2D version.

But at the end I felt like I was 10 years old all over again. I genuinely cared about the dinosaurs on the screen and I could not wait to hear that T-Rex yell of victory.

And it was glorious!

Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment